Understanding and working with Dog Aggression - Michael Shikashio CDBC
Posted on by
We are thrilled to get back to organising events and coming up in October we have the amazing Mike Shikashio coming to Positive Dog Training!
Michael Shikashio, CDBC, is the founder of AggressiveDog.com and focuses on teaching other professionals from around the world on how to successfully work aggression cases. He is a five-term president of the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC) and is a full member of the Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT).Michael is sought after for his expert opinion by numerous media outlets, including the New York Times, New York Post, Fox News, The List TV, Baltimore Sun, WebMD, Women’s Health Magazine, Real Simple Magazine, SiriusXM Radio, The Chronicle of the Dog, and Steve Dale’s Pet World. He also hosts the popular podcast show “The Bitey End of the Dog” where he chats with the foremost experts on dog aggression.He is a featured keynote speaker at conferences, universities, and seminars around the world, and offers a variety of educational opportunities on the topic of canine aggression, including the Aggression in Dogs Master Course and the annual Aggression in Dogs Conference
Saturday October 8th 2022
1. Understanding and working with Dog Aggression – keeping it simple is key to fostering an understanding off aggressive behaviour. Michael will highlight the straight forward concepts and techniques he incorporates in aggression cases for successful outcomes.
2. Client consulting - Navigating difficult conversations - Effective communication with clients is an essential skill in aggression cases. The most common “communication hurdles” we can encounter as behaviour consultants, and sample scripts to encourage client participation will be highlighted
3. Avoiding the Bitey end of the dog – This session will be all about leash skills, strategies and equipment to incorporate to ensure safety for yourself, other people and other animals.
4. Dog to Human Aggression Cases Behaviour change in action – Mike will showcase real case studies with videos, demonstrating successful resolutions from start to finish with dogs who have a history of aggression. From safety to management to prognosis to behaviour change. This presentation will cover it all.
Sunday October 9th 2022
1. Emotions in aggression Cases.
2. Arousal & Aggression - What does “arousal” have to do with aggressive behaviours in dogs? In some cases, arousal can be the catalyst for an intense, aggressive response, sometimes redirected at something a dog may not even be focused on. We may also see cases where a dog in a highly aroused state spill over into aggressive behaviour.
3. When SEC Happen – Proactive Handling - The dreaded “SEC!” We’ve all been there --- a provocative stimulus suddenly appears in the environment, and the dog we are handling explodes with barking, growling, and lunging! In this presentation, Michael will highlight proactive handling techniques as well as ancillary measures to set the stage for success when in contexts where SECs are likely to happen.
Proactivity is always better than reactivity in these cases, and Michael will be showcasing a variety of handling skills that can help dogs and their handlers in areas that can be fraught with challenges!
4. Resource Guarding in Dogs - Dispelling myths, how to modify resource guarding, and real case examples with video. How to work with and modify resource guarding between animals in the home will also be highlightedSeminars and workshops at PDT